James "Jimmy" Barfield
13 E Canal St
Sumter, SC 29150
Email the Assessor(link sends e-mail)
|Located on 1st floor Administration Building|
Hours of Operation:
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Sumter County Assessor’s Office’s primary mandate is to establish property values, utilizing standard appraisal practices, for all real property and mobile homes in Sumter County. We mass assign values and determine the eligibility for assessment ratios that are used in the calculation for property taxation; however, we do not calculate or determine the amount of actual taxes. Amount of actual taxes is based on the budgetary requirements to provide services deemed necessary by the governing body. Taxes are then calculated by the County Auditors Office and collected by the County Treasures Office. We have on staff appraisers that are licensed by the South Carolina Real Estate Appraisers Board. We also handle various applications for special assessment such as: Legal Residence applications, Agricultural Use Value applications, and other discounts for developers and land owners. We are regulated by the South Carolina Department of Revenue, and are governed by South Carolina State Law.
- Appraisal of all real estate within Sumter County for tax purposes.
- Handle applications for the owner-occupied, Residential Special Assessment ("Tax Break" for owner-occupied residences.)
- Handle applications for Agricultural Special Assessment ("Tax Break" for bonifide agricultural property.)
- Other discounts for developers, land owners, and builders
Appeal dates are broken into two categories:
- If you are mailed an assessment notice, you must voice any disagreement in writing within 90 days of the mailing of the notice.
- If there was no notice mailed, you must voice disagreement in writing on or before the first penalty date for the taxes you are appealing. Generally this is 15 January of the year after the bill is issued.
- Please call Bruce Haskins at 436-2126
E911 Street Address:
- Emily Banar at 436-2128
Properties under legal residential investigation 4% - 6%. HereFor answers to common questions about the Assessor's Office, please see our Frequently Asked Questions page.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Search for file name:
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category
- 4% Application Form Military Non Residental: Apply for 4% application MILITARY NON RESIDENTAL
- 4% Application Form: Apply for 4% Application
- Fire Application Form: Apply for Fire Damage Relief
- Multi Lot Application Form: Apply for Multiple Lot Discount
- Agri-Application Form: Apply for Agricultural Special Assessment
- Agri-Qualifications: Qualifications Information for Agricultural Special Assessment
- Appraisal Review: Application for Review of Appraisal
- ATI Real Property Tax Exemption 2012: Application for Exemption
- Affidavit for Property Tax Exemption: Application