Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:30 - 5:00
Vision, Mission & Values
To protect the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of Sumter by creating safer and more accessible buildings and services.
To provide quality code and ordinance enforcement that are consistent, precise and complete and to provide unparalleled customer service for all concerned with the safety and performance of the built environment.
- Customer service
- Integrity and professionalism
- Quality in all matters
Permit Technician: Debbie Rauch, (803) 774-1617
Building permits are processed in a timely manner. Time will be needed for the necessary zoning check and contractor’s licensing check.
You may contact Debbie Rauch at 803-774-1617 for Residential permit information and Tripper Lee at 803-774-1616 for Commercial permit information.
Inspection Request Procedures
Inspection Scheduling: Cynthia Marshall, (803) 774-1634
INSPECTION REQUEST POLICY
- Inspection requests received before 3:00 pm on any given work day will be scheduled for the following work day if the inspection load based on prior requests will permit. Any inspection requests after 3:00 pm and “same-day” inspection request are considered emergency inspection requests. They will be handled on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the building official.
- If a morning or afternoon time for the inspection is requested, all reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate that request based on inspector availability, site location and prior requests on a first-called first-served basis.
- Priority may be given to time-critical inspections such as footing and plumbing slab where weather may be a major factor.
- Inspection requests will only be accepted at the 803-774-1634 phone number. If the line is in use serving another customer, your call will be transferred to voice mail. Please leave your name, phone number, inspection site address, permit number, and type of inspection requested. You will be called back to confirm that your request was received. You will be asked to call back if you do not have all of this information. If a message is left on any other phone numbers, your inspection request will not be processed.
- Inspection requests shall only be accepted from the contractor of record for the inspection requested or a representative of that company. An owner can not request inspections for a general contractor nor can a general contractor request inspections for his separately permitted subcontractors (mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire sprinkler, etc.).
- The contractor of record for the inspection requested or an authorized representative of that company knowledgeable of the work to be inspected must be present at the inspection site at the time of the inspection. .
- The inspector assigned to your inspection will contact you at the phone number you provide with your inspection request between 8:30 am and 9:30 am on the day of your inspection to confirm the inspection time.
- If you need to cancel an inspection request or reschedule it for a later date, please do so before 10:00 am on the scheduled date. Failure to do so will count a failed inspection.